School Based Health Center Update
Last spring, the Lake County School District (LCSD) applied for and received a grant from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to explore the possibility of opening a School Based Health Center (SBHC) within the school district. Here is an update on the group’s progress to date, and how the community can provide input.
School Based Health Centers provide medical care, behavioral health care and dental care to students in the school setting with parental permission. A Community Advisory Council was created to support the School Based Health Center planning process, and has been working to move this project toward becoming a reality.
Kerri Quinlan, LCSD Health & Wellness Coordinator provided the following information:
- 300 parents completed anonymous surveys regarding their child(ren)’s health access and health needs at school registration.
- The Community Advisory Council reviewed state requirements for School Based Health Centers and recommended a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process to select the administrative and medical partners for the School Based Health Center. The RFQ will be released for application on 11/3/14 and due on 12/1/14, and will be subsequently reviewed by the Community Advisory Council.
- Community Advisory Council members are participating in visits to regional School Based Health Centers to learn about operations.
Are you interested in being involved, or do you have questions? Here are some ways to give your input!
- Attend our first School Based Health Center Community Forum on Monday, Oct. 27 from 6-7 p.m. in the Lake County Intermediate School Library. A brief presentation on SBHCs will be given, followed by the opportunity to ask questions of Community Advisory Council members.
- Share a story: Are you a student or a parent of a child with health concerns? You may submit a story to be shared (either anonymously or with your name) to Kerri Quinlan at the contact information below. These stories will be shared with the Community Advisory Council to support our planning process.
- We are still looking for parents to participate on our Community Advisory Council. Please contact Kerri for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org. (719) 486-2123.