“Race Across The Sky” This Weekend
By Kate Lessman, Leadville Race Series
On Aug. 18-19, competitors from around the world will come to the mountain town of Leadville, Colo., to push themselves at the iconic CenturyLink Leadville Trail 100 Run presented by La Sportiva. Nearly 750 participants will race all day and into the night on the 100-mile course covering grueling Colorado Rockies terrain where elevations range from 9,200 to 12,600 feet.
“We are thrilled to begin our 36th year of our legendary Leadville Trail 100,” said Ken Chlouber, Founder of The Leadville Race Series. “To most people running 100 miles seems impossible, however, each year Leadville participants embody the strength, determination and will to defy the impossible and accomplish the ultimate achievement of running and racing 100 miles – which can inspire us all to live a healthier and active life.”
Top contenders for the pro race include Leadville Trail 100 2014 winner Rob Krar as well as Addie Bracy, 2016 USATF Trail Marathon Champion and Nicole Kalogeropoulos who held the U.S. record (14:22:18) for the fastest woman on a 100-mile trail race until last November.
This year at the Leadville Trail 100 Run, competitors from all 50 states and 41 countries are represented. The first finishers are expected to complete the race in 16 to 17 hours and all participants have 30 hours to finish to earn the coveted Leadville 100 belt buckle.
The entire pool of participants will start the race at 4 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18. Other notable times on the race schedule include:
- 8 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 18: Top male anticipated to finish
- 11:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 18: Top female anticipated to finish
- 5 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 19: 25-hour cut-off time. These finishers are awarded the large silver and gold buckles.
- 9:50 a.m., Sunday Aug. 19: The final 10 minutes of the Leadville Trail 100 Run are inspirational moments as spectators watch competitors who have been running for nearly 30 hours attempt to finish before the cut-off time.
- 10 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 19: 30-hour cutoff time for all runners. These runners are awarded silver finisher buckles.
- 12 p.m., Sunday, August 19: Awards Ceremony held at the Lake County Middle School Gymnasium, 1000 West 6th St.
For more information and complete results visit www.leadvilleraceseries.com. For race day updates visit the Leadville Race Series Facebook and Instagram pages.
About the Leadville Race Series
Started with only 45 runners as the Leadville Trail 100 in 1983, the Leadville Race Series now consists of seven running events and four mountain biking events, plus six events in the Leadville Qualifying Series. The Race Series stretches across three months, and hosts thousands of racers on foot and on mountain bike in some of the world’s most iconic events. Endurance athletes worldwide now make the pilgrimage to Leadville, Colo., with the single goal of competing in “The Race Across the Sky.” Visit www.leadvilleraceseries.com for more information.